Strategy #2: Know where your audience is
#2 is, knowing where your audience is. If you’re already in business or if you have a brick and mortar
business, you need to understand what type of clients do business with you and what type of clients
actually buy from you. When we board clients, we ask them, ͞Who’s your target customer?͟ because
that’s how we can target them online. Facebook allows amazing capabilities to target very specifically
but you need to know what to search for, that’s why you really need to know who your ideal clients are
and what their demographic is. You need to know what your target market is and you want to go as
narrow as possible.
You don’t have the power or the budget to advertise everyone. You’re going to have to advertise very
differently to someone who’s a single mom, single dad, divorced, the younger generation, the older
generation, males and females. There are all these different demographics and you need to really
understand who is your ideal buyer and the only way that you can do that is by doing research within
your customer base. You will need to take some time to have a look at the ages and you will have results
like: you have 60% of men who are 30 to 40 and then the other 40% are women from 50 to 55.
You need to know what you’re demographic is and what their interests are because when you start
advertising, you need to be able to narrow down those categories. You will usually have several different
verticals and even if you’re selling one product, you will have different audiences. When I ask you, ͞
What’s your ideal customer?͟ the last thing you want to answer me is, ͞I don’t know͟ or ͞Well, pretty
much everyone͟ because that’s ridiculous.
No one is a customer of everything and even if people own the product, they buy it for different
reasons. You need to know every demographic and you need to narrow it down so you can place
advertising and marketing messages specifically for that demographic. That’s why you really need to
understand who is your ideal customer is and be able to immediately answer the question: ͞who do you
want to target online?͟ You need to know who your audience is and you need to know where they
spend their time.
About 10 years ago, Facebook was starting to gain some traction in 2005 or 2006 and I remember
friends telling me, ͞Oh yeah, this new Facebook thing is coming out. What do you think?͟ and my
answer to them was, ͞I don’t know͟ because it was so new at that point. I remember High5 which was
another social network that came out around 2004 that really gained traction. Then out came
Friendster, MySpace and Facebook and it was the first iteration of social networks.
I remember people saying, ͞I’ll never be on Facebook. I will never have a Facebook account͟. Fast
forward to now: who doesn’t have a Facebook account? Facebook has 1.4 billion users. In all honesty, I
have 2 or 3 really close friends who doesn’t have Facebook and I would say that less than 1% or 5% at
the most of the people I know don’t have Facebook.
You need to know where your audience is. For example, if you’re selling to teenagers, you need to be on
Snapchat, Vine and also in Instagram. Those 3 platforms really have the majority of that market share. If
you’re selling to B2B or professionals, you need to be on LinkedIn. Point A is: really understanding who
your audience is and Point B is: understanding where they spend their time and for that, you need to do
some research.
You need to start understanding the platforms like understanding that Snapchat and Instagram is still a
very young demographic and the biggest demographic for Instagram is under 30 years old. The biggest
demographic for Pinterest is over 40 years old and the biggest demographic in LinkedIn is people who
earn at least $75,000 or more a year. Every platform is different and you need to understand who your
market is and then see where they spend their time.

Comments

comments